Friday, April 18, 2014

Lee as a character

It feels very strange to like someone who is going to be accused of first degree murder. 

DeLillo treats Lee as a character in a very interesting way, making him a troublemaker, flirty, nauseating, mysterious, and it makes him so intriguing that I find myself trying to blaze through the dated chapters just so I can get back to learning about Lee.

He is painted as a very sympathetic character, growing up in a society built against him, trying to rebel. His home situation is so sad, summed up by the repeated "they watched each other eat." I find myself wanting him to have a better life, to succeed. Not in the way that he seems to though. 

The portrayal of huge people like Oswald, similarly to any other famous person who has been blown up in our minds to inhuman levels, seems weird at first. Too personal almost. 

I am really enjoying DeLillo's take on Lee because it is so personal. The more personal the story, the more real it actually feels. The liberty DeLillo takes by filling in gaps, detailing parts of Lee's days that may or may not have happened, makes the facts come to life. 

I wait in anticipation of the November 22 chapter, where we see his actual thought process, or lack thereof. The journey from little Lee to Lee Harvey Oswald will be quite an epic bildungsroman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment